Friday, May 21, 2010

It Must Be True...

Ya know, Sundays are rough. Last Sunday I got up to the sound of my alarm, woke my sleeping baby and 4-year-old up, and tried to move them along through breakfast, getting dresses on, and combing hair without too much complication. Then we got in the car and drove for 30 minutes. Between my house and the church there are at least a dozen churches, ranging from different Catholic parishes to a variety of Baptist organizations, Methodist, and a few that I don't know which category they fall into, but all of which would be a closer drive on a Sunday morning. Once at church, I'm by myself with the 2 girls which means that if Abby is naughty I have to take her out and leave Emily in the chapel, hoping she behaves herself. We're lucky if we make it through Sacrament meeting, after which Abby definitely won't sit in Sunday school, but we try again for Relief Society, and sometimes even make it through the practice hymn. It's an exhausting morning. But something bigger compels me to go. No one would notice if I weren't there, and if they did, they wouldn't fault me, nor would Peter. I'm just glad to have the chance to take the sacrament and sing a hymn or two and maybe actually hear a talk. If for no other reason, the church must be true if I'm happy/willing/determined to go back and do it again the next week.


(Here is a picture that I tried to catch before church while the girls were dressed up. You can tell that Abby was already planning to not sit through the meetings.)

11 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

Heather - I would notice if you weren't there! I need you in the lobby to tell me where "so and so" ran to or which way Aaron went or to watch me roll my eyes as I hunt down a last minute substitute. Thanks for being there in the green velvet chair every week! You are so dependable ;) and I appreciate it!

Becky said...

I have the same thought too. James actually made it through Sacrament for the very first time a couple of weeks ago. (Mostly because he wandered from missionary to missionary and we broke down and bought sugary cereal to bribe him with.
Keep up the good work! You will go to "heaven" for it!

wendy holt said...

I love you Heather!! It is so hard to be 'going it alone' Sometimes the habit of going is enough to help make it through the hard stuff. I notice you aren't here EVERY Sunday. So there.

:) Really, I am hankering for a road trip. seriously...

p.s. if I know Emily...she behaves just fine while you are out. Tell her Wendy Holt says so.

thehaucks said...

Church is hard enough-- not to mention alone! You are a great mom and your girls are adorable!

KevandChels said...

I hear ya Sister! When does Abby get to go nursery so that you can listen a little for at least part of the last two hours? I'm loving this inbetween stage while Peter is in nursery, and finally not tramatized each time he goes:), and having no little one to take care of during that time. Oh, I guess looking at your last post it's about 2 or 3 more months:)

Scott said...

Ya- in Florida sometimes I would cop the same attitude about not wanting to attend church. Sometimes I felt like I should be out in the gulf instead of listening to brother
W's boring Sunday school lesson. It was amazing how everytime that happened the Stake Presidency would be looking for me at church that day.

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

I love reading this! I just don't think anything is better than knowing you're not alone in this strange medical school quest...
How are you? I haven't even written you a thank you card for the amazingly cute little sign you made Cameron! Thank you so much! You are so thoughtful of me all the time and I miss you like CRAZY!

Elise said...

Heather,

I love the new pictures of Abby. She is a DOLL! Emily is as beautiful as ever. I love they each have their own look; I'm still pining for a brown haired child.

We miss you each and every week and still miss living near you. As much as we want this "phase" of life to be complete (what would it be like to have a husband with a more livable schedule), it means that we are missing you and that great times that we had as neighbors.

You are an amazingly supportive wife, kind friend and wonderful mother.

Say hi to Pete from us!

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

I want to meet this older, more mischevious abby...it seems as though she causes quite a stir in your life, but oh she is cute! I can just see Emily sitting reverently all by herself, they would probably give her a calling if they could!

ps maybe you should try out one of the other churches out of convienence one sunday...

Jon and Nicole said...

All I can say is GOOD FOR YOU! Church is hard with kids. There was a time when Jon was traveling and I had to go to church alone with our girls. I felt like I was getting nothing- but a lesson in obedience was what I learned. I hope the countdown for nursery comes quick for you! Hang in there- you are an awesome mom!

Erin said...

I notice when you're missing. I'd understand if you did bail. And I'm glad when you don't. Hang in there.